Church of Christ of Genesee County

Speak Where the Bible Speaks and be Silent Where the Bible is Silent.
 

+menu-

header image

History

. . . A Brief History

The Restoration Movement first came to Genesee County in 1866. The old  Murray-Hill-Mabel Avenue congregation was the first congregation of a cappella brethren to continue. Over the passage of time, Christians from this congregation assembled at a building on Court Street, Later in August 3, 1975, several members from Court Street agreed to assemble with the Northwestern congregation. The congregation was later recognized as the West Carpenter Road congregation. The Davison church of Christ came from West Carpenter Road church of Christ.  Other congregations in Genesee County was formed from the Restoration Movement:  Bristol Road church of Christ (1928), Flushing church of Christ, North Central church of Christ (1948), Clio church of Christ, Mt. Morris church of Christ, Swartz Creek church of Christ (1965), Grand Blanc church of Christ, Averil Avenue church of Christ (dissolved) and Lennon Road church of Christ (dissolved). The Valley church of Christ came from Bristol Road church of Christ. The 12th Street church of Christ is “non-institutional.” Congregations began to be influenced or embrace, at varying degrees, the Change Agent doctrine and liberal influences of people like, Jeff Walling, Mike Cope, and Rubel Shelly (1996), which has caused great harm and decline.  The church of Christ of Genesee County began in 2008 with a few Christians that rejected the liberalism and anti-ism in the area to remain faithful to the scriptures. We began worshiping in various locations until locating at 5284 Fenton Road, Flint, Michigan 48507 in June 2013.   The church of Christ of Genesee County has baptized and restored precious souls into Christ.

 

Moving In Day

IMG431 IMG430 IMG429 IMG427 IMG423 IMG419 IMG418 IMG416 IMG411 IMG408 IMG407 IMG405 IMG404 IMG432

SIGN IS PUT IN PLACE

sign13 sign12 sign11 sign10 sign9 sign8 sign6 sign7

Our first Gospel Meeting was with Charles Coats the preacher at Webberville church of Christ on August 30th to September 1st, 2013

Charles Coats

*The restoration movement should not be understood as man remaking the  church, but honest seekers of God following his word and his will. During this  movement many desired to return to the “primitive church” of the scriptures.  Some were successful, while others failed falling even further into the wiles of  sectarianism. The scriptures, however, reveal that the Bible only makes
Christians and Christians only. Denominationalism is a product of man, thus,  contrary to the word and will of God. The churches of Christ as described in the  scriptures (Rom. 16:16) existed not as a denomination, but as the true church.  Congregations of the church which follow the biblical pattern for the church  today use only the “naming” churches of Christ or other biblical descriptions to
identify who they are, the doctrine they teach and live, and who is the head of  the church – Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:18-23).
. . . “A History of the Church of Christ!”

The pages of the New Testament contain a brief but accurate history of the first century New Testament church. Records of the church’s history outside the New Testament are unsupported by inspiration and therefore may be subject to inaccuracies. Church historians have provided helpful records of the church’s history since the first century to the present age.   Divine foresight has anticipated the difficulties arising from attempts to trace church history throughout the ages. Within the pages of the Bible is the identity of the one true church. While uninspired records differ and church history is obscure throughout certain times, the church has always existed. The church exists in the “seed” form while it may not exist in outward form. The word of God, the Bible, can be easily planted into the honest heart and therefore produce the christian. (Luke 8:11) This product, the Christian, is a member of the church of Christ. (Matthew 13:23)
Application of the doctrines of the New Testament scriptures produce the same church that existed in the first century church. The New Testament scriptures contain all the information needed to identify the New Testament church. (II Timothy 3:16-17, II Peter 1:3) Today this church, the church of Christ, is known by its adherence to the New Testament doctrines in worship, church government and works.   Today, the true church of Christ follows the same pattern set forth in the New Testament. The first century church was composed of separate and autonomous congregations. Each congregation was to be governed by it own elders. Deacons were selected to assist. (Philippians1:1) Worship consisted of singing, praying, giving, preaching and taking the Lord’s supper. (Ephesians 5:19, I Corinthians 11:20-29, 16:1-2, Acts. 20:7)   Many other teachings and authorized practices are observed in the New Testament. Therefore, by using the Bible as our only guide, we can know and serve in the true historical church that Christ built, the church of Christ. (Matthew 16:18) (Paul Sain, East Hill church of Christ, http://www.easthillchurch.org/, Retrieved: 10/28/2006)

 

Comments are closed.